What Should You Do If You Are Injured On The Job?
If you are hurt on the job (while working), the first thing you need to do is to immediately report the accident to your supervisor, your boss or someone else in charge. You should write down the date and time you reported the accident and the name of the person you reported it to. Ask that person to prepare an accident report and ask for a copy for your own records.
Your employer has an obligation to provide you with medical treatment. You should ask for the name of a doctor to see for your injuries. If your employer refuses to give you the name of a doctor or medical facility, you can obtain treatment with someone of your own choosing. You are entitled to fair and just workers’ compensation benefits regardless of whom or what caused your accident or injury, even if your accident is your fault.
If you did not have an accident on the job, but you still believe that you have an injury, illness or medical condition caused by your job because of the type of work that you do, you are also entitled to receive medical treatment. Examples of these types of claims include:
- a worker who has to do a lot of heavy lifting and as a result develops back, neck or knee pain,
- a worker who develops breathing problems which may due to working around chemicals, dust, propane from forklifts and other types of fumes,
- a worker who develops pain in his or her hands and wrists due to twisting and turning of the hands or vibrations from work tools or machines,
- a worker who develops cancer which may be due to certain types of chemicals from the workplace,
- a worker who suffers a heart attack or a stroke that he or she believes is due to the stress or work effort on the job,
- a worker who develops mesothelioma from working around or near asbestos. There are many other types of injuries which may be due to the type of work that you do.
Once you have obtained the name of a doctor or if your employer refuses to provide you with treatment, the next thing you need to do is to contact not just any lawyer, but a lawyer who practices workers’ compensation cases.
Get Your Free Consultation
WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU. WE CAN HELP YOU. Schedule a free initial consultation with an attorney by calling 888-868-1830 or by using our our online contact form.