As the situation with the COVID-019 virus continues, we want you to know that we are available to our clients. We are conducting phone and virtual meetings. We are open and will continue to represent you in these uncertain times. Do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or request for information.
Advocating on Behalf of the Seriously Injured For More Than 50 Years
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Workers’ Compensation
  4.  » What Should You Do If You Are Injured On The Job?

What Should You Do If You Are Injured On The Job?

If you are hurt on the job (while working), the first thing you need to do is to immediately report the accident to your supervisor, your boss or someone else in charge. You should write down the date and time you reported the accident and the name of the person you reported it to. Ask that person to prepare an accident report and ask for a copy for your own records.

You are entitled to benefits regardless of whom or what caused your accident or injury, even if your accident is your fault.

Your employer has an obligation to provide you with medical treatment. You should ask for the name of a doctor to see for your injuries. If your employer refuses to give you the name of a doctor or medical facility, you can obtain treatment with someone of your own choosing.

If you did not have an accident on the job, but you still believe that you have an injury, illness or medical condition caused by your job because of the type of work that you do, you are also entitled to receive medical treatment. Examples of these types of claims include

  1. a worker who has to do a lot of heavy lifting and as a result develops back, neck or knee pain,
  2. a worker who develops breathing problems which may due to working around chemicals, dust, propane from forklifts and other types of fumes,
  3. a worker who develops pain in his or her hands and wrists due to twisting and turning of the hands or vibrations from work tools or machines,
  4. a worker who develops cancer which may be due to certain types of chemicals from the workplace,
  5. a worker who suffers a heart attack or a stroke that he or she believes is due to the stress or work effort on the job,
  6. a worker who develops mesothelioma from working around or near asbestos. There are many other types of injuries which may be due to the type of work that you do.

Once you have obtained the name of a doctor or if your employer refuses to provide you with treatment, the next thing you need to do is to contact not just any lawyer, but a lawyer who specializes in workers’ compensation cases.


How Can We Help You?