James E. Humphreys
- Litigation 70%
- Arbitration/Mediation 20%
- Workers' Compensation 10%
James E. Humphreys joined the law firm of Goldstein, Ballen, O’Rourke & Wildstein in 1984 as a law clerk while attending Seton Hall University Law School in Newark, New Jersey. James E. Humphreys now serves as the managing attorney of the firm while continuing to practice in the firm’s personal injury, workers’ compensation and no-fault arbitration section.
Over his career Mr. Humphreys has developed a particular practice concentration in the area of what are commonly referred to as “Third Party Liability Claims”. These are instances where the firm represents injured workers who are injured in the course of their employ, by individuals or entities separate and distinct from their employers. These types of claims often involve work related automobile accidents, fall downs and injuries resulting from dangerous machinery or instruments.
Recent cases successfully concluded by Mr. Humphreys include a $1,250,000.00 settlement involving a New Jersey resident injured in a South Carolina automobile accident and a $900,000.00 recovery achieved for an injured worker involved in a forklift accident. This recovery was separate and in addition to the recovery obtained on behalf of the injured worker in the workers’ compensation action.
James E. Humphreys has dedicated his professional career to the representation of accident victims, injured workers and the disabled. He also continues to serve as the managing attorney for the practice which has served the North Jersey community for well over 50 years.
Mr. Humphreys remains active and involved in the New Jersey State Bar Association, the New Jersey Association for Justice as well as the Passaic County Bar Association. He is also extremely active in his community having served multiple terms on his local Board of Education and Municipal Planning Board. He also serves at the local level as the Chairman of his community’s Open Space Committee and recently concluded his second appointment to the Morris County Open Space & Farmland Preservation Trust Fund. Mr. Humphreys supports and sponsors numerous civil endeavours within the City and County of Passaic including the Roberto Clemente Baseball League, the United Puerto Rican Council and the Passaic High School Mentorship Program.
Mr. Humphreys’ professionalism and success have also been recognized by other attorneys who refer numerous clients and cases for his handling and often appoint him as arbitrator/mediator in alternative dispute resolution forums.
- Seton Hall University School of Law, Newark, New Jersey
- J.D. – 1986
- Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey, 1981
- Major: Economics / Political Science
- New Jersey, 1986
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1986
- Laureano v. New Jersey Transit Bus Operatins, Inc., 220 N.J. Super. 295, 531 A.2d 1361, 1987, N.J.Super. A.D
- Laureano v. New Jersey Transit Bus Operatins, Inc., 110 N.J. 176, 540 A.2d 174, 1988, N.J. Supreme Court
- American Trial Lawyers Association – NJ, “Service Acknowledgement” Automobile Reparations Committee, 1996
Classes & Seminars
- New Jersey Automobile Practice, American Trial Lawyers Association - NJ, 2002 to 2002
- T.L.C. – Trial Lawyers Care “Free Legal Help for 9/11 Victims”, 2001 – 2003
- Boonton Township Board of Education (Member/President), 1992 – 2000
- Mountain Lakes Board of Education (Sending District Rep.), 1994 – 1996
- Boonton Township Zoning Board (Member), 1991 – 1993
- Boonton Township Open Space Committee (Member/Chairman), 1994 – 1996
- Boonton Township Open Space Committee (Member/Chairman) Present, 2004 – Present
- Morris County Open Space Committee (Member), 2005 – 2006
Fraternities Or Sororities
- Sigma Alpha Mu
- New Jersey Association for Justice, Present Member, 1986
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Present Civil Trial Practice, 1986
- Passaic County Bar Association, Present Member, 1986
Current Employment Position
- Managing Partner